Table of Contents
With Fugo’s player app for Android, you can use a wide range of Android devices to run your digital signage: media boxes, Smart TVs, and tablets.
If you don’t have a smart Android TV, Android boxes come in a range of prices and capability and mostly offer you a great bang for your buck - allowing you to run Android OS on any standard TV screen, effectively transforming it from “dumb” to smart.
This guide will walk you through how to install Fugo on an Android device, set up a Fugo account, and publish your content.
Let’s get started!
Connect your player to your screen & internet
Connect your Android box to your TV screen via HDMI cable.
Turn on your device and connect your box to a WiFi or Ethernet network.
Install the Fugo player app from the Google Play store
1. Open the Google Play store from the home screen of your TV by clicking Apps
2. Click Get More Apps to explore the Google Play apps
3. Search for “Fugo Digital Signage Player”
4. Install our app onto your device.
5. Click Open to launch the Fugo app on your screen.
6. Launching the app will automatically generate a PIN. We’ll cover where to enter this PIN in the next section.
How to close the Fugo app
If you are running the Fugo app on an Android player, there is a slight difference in how you close the Fugo app on your device as opposed to other platforms and operating systems. Rather than hitting the "home" button the way you might with other apps on your player, you'll just need to press the "back" button three times.
Pair your player to Fugo CMS
Note: to pair your screen, you'll need a Fugo account. If you have not registered a Fugo account yet, you can head over to fugo.ai/app to start your 14-day free trial.
1. After successfully logging in, you can click Create, then, Screen on the Welcome page. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Screens page in the top navigation bar and click Create Screens.
2. Enter the PIN from the Fugo player window into the space provided.
3. To finish the pairing process, give your screen a name and add a location.
💡 We recommend you name your player something relevant such as '68 Lombard Street' or 'Clapham Coffee Shop'. For my example, I’ve named my screen “Fugo HQ.” The address should be your screen’s location.
4. Your screen will now be listed on your Screens page:
Publish content with Fugo CMS
With your player all set up, you’re ready to give it something to play!
Fugo allows you to display several types of content:
When your content is ready to go on screen, you can use our friendly playlist builder to publish your content - learn how here.
Help! The Fugo app isn't launching on device boot up
If the Fugo app isn't launching when you start up your Android device, you may need to enable the "Allow display over other apps" permission for the Fugo app.
💡 Pro tip: enabling this option will also help with your player's stability, prompting the Fugo app to restart when there's an error, rather than crash.
1. Click the Settings button
2. Select Apps
3. Under Permissions, select Special app access
4. Select Display over other apps
5. Find the Fugo app & toggle the permission to Allowed
Help! My screen is turning off on its own
If you've noticed that your screen is turning off on its own, you can troubleshoot this by using the Energy Saver Setting on player.
1. Go to your player's Settings panel and open Device Preferences
2. Open Energy Saver
3. Update the Turn off diplay setting to Never
Need more help?
Reach out to email@example.com or send us a message in the handy chatbot inside Fugo CMS.