Note: if you're looking directly for set up instructions, you can skip down to section 3: How to install Fugo on your Samsung Smart Signage display.
Using Samsung displays for digital signage
Samsung is one of the most most recognizable names in screen technology (if not the very foremost.) After decades of manufacturing and selling across the globe, their products have become ubiquitous - available everywhere, easy to purchase, and come backed with the company's rock solid reputation.
They carry numerous lines of screens that are almost too diverse to even go into in detail, ranging from standard consumer to professional grade. Though when it comes to digital signage, their commercial smart signage displays are second to almost none in terms of playback quality and lifetime durability.
Samsung commercial grade smart signage displays are built specifically for professional use and (sometimes) up to 24/7 continuous operation. With built-in system on chip (SoC) media players, SSSP displays offer an all-in-one solution when paired with Fugo digital signage software.
What is SSSP?
SSSP stands for the Samsung Smart Signage Platform. It’s a fully integrated program that lets software developers create solutions that work on Samsung TIZEN System-on-Chip displays.
Why use Samsung Smart Signage displays?
Consumer vs. commercial screens
Commercial grade screens are always going to come with a higher sticker price than your standard consumer TV. That's because they're built to be used in a professional setting - which throws a lot more at a screen than home usage.
When choosing screens for a digital signage deployment, it's probably tempting to cut a few corners on the hardware to save on entry costs. Why pay thousands of dollars on a professional screen when you can run into you local big box store and pluck a TV off the shelf for half the price?
While there may be some use cases that are served fine with a consumer TV, we at Fugo almost always recommend purchasing a professional screen.
Why? Here’s the short answer: TVs and monitors might look similar, but they’re very different, and TVs simply aren’t suited to the operating demands of digital signage.
Digital signage lives in a much more demanding environment - often being required to withstand long operation hours in tight installation areas and operate in portrait position.
SSSP display features
Samsung Smart Signage displays make great options for professional digital signage deployments, owing to the quality of their manufacture & production.
Here are some key features:
- Light & strong: aluminum frame & can stand 4x their weight
- Flexibility: suited to various installation environments and configurations, including wall mounts, ceiling mounts and other challenging installations
- Heat & dust resistant: Thermal design with a cooling system of vents & fans to handle the extra heat
- Extended operation: rated for 16/7 usage (16 hours, 7 days a week) or around-the-clock, seven days a week (24/7)
- Sufficient brightness: high 2,500-nit brightness, an auto brightness sensor that optimizes brightness, and anti-glare technology for visibility in direct sunlight
- Form factor: self-contained ultra-slim display with an embedded power box, fingerprint-resistant finish, and narrow bezels (to enable multiple displays to be joined in a video wall)
- Playback quality: Crystal 4K UHD picture resolution & video playback, HDR, supports up to three FHD videos for simultaneous playback
Note: not all Samsung products are compatible with SSSP, so when purchasing, check the list of compatible displays.
How to install Fugo on your Samsung Smart Signage display
- Turn on your display (make sure you aim the remote at the sensors, which need to be plugged in to the back of the TV)
- Choose a language
- Choose Basic Setup under the Installation Type
- Choose Landscape or Portrait mode under the Display Orientation
- Select an option for Auto Power Off - Off/4hours/6hours/8hours/16hours
- Choose whether you want to set a Brightness Limit or not (we recommend leaving this off)
- Connect your display to WiFi or a wired connection
- Under Play via, select URL Launcher and type in the following url - https//tz.fugo.ai ; Then click Done and Next
- Let's skip 'Connect to RM Server'
- Set the Clock. This is actually important - set the exact Date and Time
- Click Next and then Done
- Wait a bit and then select the URL Launcher down below on the menu.
- You'll now see a PIN displayed on screen. We'll cover what to do with this in the next section: How to pair your screen & publish content
How to pair your screen & publish content
Note: to pair your screen, you'll need a Fugo account. If you have not registered a Fugo account yet, you can head over to fugo.ai/app to start your 14-day free trial.
1. After successfully logging in, you can click Add Screens on the Welcome page. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Screens page in the top navigation bar.
2. Enter the PIN from the Fugo player window into the space provided.
3. To finish the pairing process, give your screen a name and add a location.
Hint: We recommend you name your player something relevant such as 68 Lombard Street or Clapham Coffee Shop. For my example, I’ve named my screen “Fugo HQ." The address should be your screen’s location.
4. Your screen will now be listed on your Screens page:
Congratulations, you’ve added your screen! Here, have this cake 🍰 to celebrate!
Now you’re ready to start publishing content. We’ll cover that in the next section.
Publish content with Fugo CMS
1. Navigate to the Playlist page in the top navigation bar.
2. Click the Create Playlist button.
3. Start by giving your playlist a name in the top left corner of the page. I’ll call mine “Sarah’s playlist.”
4. You can add screens, content, or schedule in any order. For the sake of ease, I’ll start with adding a screen. Click Select Screens and choose your screen.
5. Select content to add to your playlist by clicking Select Content and choosing from your media, apps, or studio content. Click Add Items when you’ve finished choosing your content.
6. Finally, if you’d like to schedule your content, you can start by indicating the start and end dates under Date Range. Tick the box for No End Date if you want your content to play indefinitely.
7. You can also set the week schedule by clicking and dragging along the schedule. Alternatively, you can select just Workdays or Weekends in the top right corner of the schedule if you want your playlist to run only on those days. If you want your content to run 24/7, you can click Select All.
Hint: Selecting “Workdays” will set your content to run from 8am - 7pm. You can change those hours by clicking on a day block, and manually entering the run times in the day’s window.
8. Once your schedule is set, click Publish in the right top hand corner to publish your new playlist! If you don’t want to publish right away, just click Finish later and it will save your playlist for you to edit later.
Viola - your content is live!
Hint: When you’re ready to come back to your playlist, you’ll find it saved on your Playlists page. Click Publish or select Edit from the dotted menu at the right of the playlist panel.
There you go! It really is that easy to set up your Samsung display and publish your content with Fugo!
If you have any questions regarding set up, publishing, or hardware, you can contact our support team any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy publishing 📺