RSS feeds aren't just for the web.
Digital signage screens displaying content to guests and potential customers are everywhere and many of them have RSS feed news tickers - or ticker tapes - scrolling across the bottom of the screen.
With Fugo's RSS Feed app, you can easily display news feeds from your favorite sources like the BBC, CNN, Google, NASA, etc. You can even display stock market information, local travel news, Reddit feeds, or any of the thousands of public RSS feeds you feel is relevant to your digital signage content!
This guide will walk you through how to add a zone containing an RSS feed ticker to your on-screen content.
Let's get started!
1. Sign into your Fugo account. If you don't have one, you can sign up for a 14-day free trial here.
2. Navigate to the Design Studio by clicking Studio in the top navigation bar. Then click the Create Content or Create in Studio button to open up a new canvas.
3. Drop your first piece of content onto the canvas. In our example, we've added an image using our Unsplash integration, but you can also choose to add one of our apps or media from your own uploaded assets.
4. If you prefer to create a carousel of content, you can drop another image or app on top of the first, creating a carousel of content that will now appear in the timeline under your canvas. Repeat this as many times as you want. And remember that you can always change the duration & settings for each piece of content in the settings panel to the right. You can also change the order & duration of content by dragging your content around the timeline.
5. Resize your content / carousel to fit into your preferred zone of the screen. Leave some room on the bottom of your screen for your RSS ticker.
6. Go to Apps in the right hand settings panel. Find the RSS app, then drag & drop it into the gap at the bottom of the canvas.
7. Once you've added the RSS app you can start customizing the settings!
Customizing the RSS app settings
- Paste the Feed URL from your favorite source.
- Set the Duration in Seconds. This will determine how long the RSS feed displays on screen.
- Set the Next Post Delay. This will determine how long each headline in the feed displays.
Note: If "Scroll" is enabled, then this will determine how fast the ticker will scroll across screen. Decrease the Next Post Delay to make the feed scroll faster, and increase it to make the feed scroll slower.
- Set the Header Color. This refers to the text color of the headlines.
- There is an option to also set the Summary Color. However, you can ignore this since in this case, the summary is not visible.
- Set your Background Color if you wish.
- You can also select Right To Left Text Direction if you want your text to enter the screen from the right, instead of the left, which Fugo does by default.
- If you want to overlay your RSS feed on top of other content, you can also make the feed's background transparent by toggling on Transparency.
- Finally, if you want to create a scrolling ticker tape, select Scroll.
Voila - you're done! You now have a zoned screen with your content carousel and a scrolling ticker of your favorite RSS feed!
Now you're ready to publish it to your screen(s.) If you need help publishing, you can read the instructions for how to do that here.
If you've got any questions, you can always get at our support team by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.