BrightSign players command great name recognition in the world of digital signage media players, owing to their reliability and efficiency. They offer an industrial design and sleek look, front & back port access, as well as an ultra-thin form-factor that easily fits into any digital signage installation.
Designed in the US exclusively for digital signage, BrightSign’s OS delivers powerful signage capabilities and exceptional 4K and Full HD video quality. Plus, their energy-efficient devices consume very little power, keeping heat emission and operating costs down.
Fugo is proud to offer support for all BrightSign players. This guide will walk you through some of the hardware highlights of the BrightSign player line, instructions for setting up Fugo on your player, as well as how to run Fugo in tandem with BrightAuthor.
Note: If you’re looking for setup instructions, you can skip down to section 1: Installing Fugo On Your BrightSign Media Player
BrightSign Players - Hardware Overview
The BrightSign product line consists of 8 models in 5 series of players, positioned in a good-better-best range.
Each series targets specific levels of applications & performance, from entry-level to enterprise usage. All models offer H.265 decoding for reliable, high quality video playback, Full HD 1080p60 video support, HTML5 rendering, interactivity and networking. And each series provides increasing levels of video and HTML5 performance appropriate for the application.
BrightSign LS - $275
The BrightSign LS424 is BrightSign’s entry-level commercial grade player. It supports HD 1080P video and external microSD card. To connect to WiFi you’ll need to also purchase an external WiFi module.
BrightSign OPS – $400
The BrightSign HO523 is compatible with OPS displays. It comes with a JAE TX25 connector plug that can be used for connecting to the internal components of displays (video, USB, serial, etc.)
BrightSign HD – Starts at $375
The BrightSign HD series is ideal for mainstream commercial digital signage applications. Both models - the BrightSign HD224 Standard I/O & the BrightSign HD1024 Expanded I/O Player - support 4Kp60. The models offer HTML5 playback, H.265 decoding, and support local, streaming and networked media playback.
BrightSign XD – Starts at $475
The BrightSign XD series consists of 2 advanced performance models that support both H.265/H.264 encoded 4K content at 60fps, Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HDMI 2.0. The XD234 Standard I/O Player is available for $475 and the XD1034 Expanded I/O Player is available for $575. Once again, to connect to WiFi you’ll need to also purchase an external WiFi module.
BrightSign XT – Starting at $575
The BrightSign XT line is the most advanced player series geared for heavy, enterprise-grade performance. This series supports 4K, accelerated HTML5 rendering, Mosaic mode, Gigabit Ethernet, dual 4K video decoding, and PoE.
There are 3 players in this series, ranging from $575 - $875
- BrightSign XT244 Standard I/O Player
- BrightSign XT1144 Expanded I/O Player
- BrightSign XT1144-T Expanded I/O Player
You can see a full comparison chart of all BrightSign players here.
1.Installing Fugo On Your BrightSign Media Player
Note: You’ll need to download the setup files for BrightSign from our hardware page here. The instructions are also contained in a text file within the setup files, but we’ve re-iterated them below as well for your convenience.
Before setting up with Fugo, make sure to:
- Connect your player to a screen via HDMI cable
- Connect your player to a network via Ethernet connection or contact us for further instructions regarding WiFi set up
- Set your password to keep your player protected
To install Fugo on your player:
- Get an empty MicroSD card (it must be formatted with FAT32)
- Download the archive from here
- Extract it and copy the `autorun.brs` file to your MicroSD card
- Insert the card into your player and power it on
- Launching the Fugo player will display a PIN on your screen that you’ll use to register your screen on Fugo CMS.
We’ll cover what to do with this PIN in section 2: Connecting Your Player To Fugo CMS
2. Connecting Your Player to Fugo CMS
2.2 After successfully logging in, you can click Add Screens on the Welcome page. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Screens page in the top navigation bar and click Create Screen.
2.3 Enter the PIN from the Fugo player window into the space provided.
2.4 To finish the pairing process, give your screen a name and add a location (this will allow you to quickly locate it on the map using our map feature.)
Congratulations, you’ve added your screen! Here, have this cake 🍰 to celebrate!
3. How to use Fugo with BrightAuthor
If you’re using BrightAuthor to manage your players, but find yourself constrained by the platform, you can actually use Fugo alongside BrightAuthor for a more robust BrightSign system! This allows you to forego the inconvenience of re-setting up your screens with Fugo, to keep managing your screens the way you’re used to, while at the same time leveraging the power & flexibility of the Fugo platform.
It’s actually quite simple - all you need to do is use BrightAuthor’s HTML widget to display the Fugo player URL. There are two methods for doing that:
Method 1 - Create a single-zone presentation with Fugo player URL
- Create a new presentation
- Under Single Zone select HTML
- Name your presentation (i.e. "Fugo")
- Enter the Fugo player URL - http://player.fugo.ai
- Click Publish
Watch this quick video to see it demonstrated
Method 2 - Create a multi-zone presentation with Fugo player URL
- Create a new presentation
- Under Multi Zone, select your preferred zone layout
- Name your presentation
- Click Start
- Reconfigure your zone layout if you wish in the zone editor
- Double click the zone where you want to add the Fugo player
- Click Widgets and select the HTML widget & drop it into your content zone
- In the settings panel to the right under Site Source enter the Fugo player URL - http://player.fugo.ai
Watch this quick video to see it demonstrated
Bonus: Create a single zone screen that combines Fugo content with a live TV stream
This method is similar to method 1, except when you schedule Fugo player, you insert a live TV widget into the schedule to interrupt your Fugo content.
Now it’s content time!
With your player set up and connected to Fugo, you’re ready to start publishing content to your screen(s.)
You can publish many types of content with Fugo:
- Apps - Fugo integrates with many of your favorite business apps like social media, Looker, GSuite, QR codes and more!
- Media - your Fugo subscription comes with unlimited storage for image, video, and audio files
- Studio Content - this is content you design inside Fugo Studio (think of it like Canva for on-screen content) It allows you to zone your screen, create carousels in different zones, add stock media, gifs, stickers & more!
Build a playlist
If you’d like to find out how to build and publish playlists in Fugo you can check out our guide here (hint: it’s easy. Like, easy easy.)
Try a template
You may also want to check out some of our free digital signage templates - you can use them as-is or customize to your liking. We even have a form where you can ask us to build you a content template if you don’t see what you’re looking for (yep, we really are that nice 😎)
Build a custom creation in our design studio
Like we mentioned above, Fugo Studio can be understood best as a visual editor for digital signage content - sort of like Canva, but instead of print or web content, you’re designing specifically for screens. Here are some of the things you can do in the studio:
- Add multiple slides to each piece of content
- Create slides using our apps, your own media assets, & any of the design elements in the studio
- Search and add stock images & videos via our Unsplash & Pexels integrations
- Add gifs to your content
- Add stickers to your content
- Add animations to your content
- Create flexible, custom zones for your screen
- Create content carousels within your screen zones
- Add animations to the objects in your content
The sky really is the limit with Fugo studio!
If you’re ready to try Fugo out for yourself, you can start your free trial here. That’s 14 days on us, no credit card required!
You can also book a demo call with our sales team if you’d like someone on our team to show you around the software or discuss your use case face-to-face.
Or, if you need technical support, you can reach out to email@example.com.